Monday 10 November 2014

French Dragoons

I recently recruited into my collection a unit of cavalry figures- French Dragoons- from the collection of John Ray, whose work will be known to many readers.
All I needed to do was add horses, and base the unit, and hey presto...



Originally the Orleans Dragoon Regt, these chaps sport the uniform of a period slightly later than that which I am depicting with my 18th century Pils Holstein collection. I love the green coats and helmets, and although I'm not a purist with this and am happy to leave these anomalies so that the project reflects uniforms from 1740-1760 ish, I wanted to rename this unit, and have labelled them The Chevaliers de Rouen - a fictional regiment, and I'm sure you get the pun. They are lead by their Colonel Theophillis d'En (Theo d'En) for those who need a nudge to get it...

More news on the project soon...
Phil

8 comments:

  1. Fondly remembering the 'old' Chevaliers de Rouen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully painted - especially the flag with all details gives a good effect!
    I will have a look if I can get such in 40mm...
    _Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very smart looking unit there Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to admit to being very dim. I don't get the joke :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the supportive comments guys.

    Conrad K - "Chevaliers de Rouen" = sort of, "Riders of Rohan"?!

    abdul666 - ah! you have a good memory!! They were Holger Erikksen figures painted around 8 years ago.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phil, An excellent unit cleverly integrated. John's sculpting is marvellously lively. Rohan.

    ReplyDelete